Happy New Year

Happy New Year
Snowflakes cookies

Friday, January 29, 2010

Baking Memories

Since I was a little girl I have loved to bake. The first cake I remember baking all by myself was for an elderly lady at my church.  She was a quiet and poor woman of color and I remember her always seeming to be alone.  As a 10 year old child looking in on the scenario, I thought...what would make her happy.  My answer was CAKE!  I made her a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting.  I adorned the top of the cake with pecan halves which I thought were fabulous. I was so proud of this cake and very anxious when I presented it to her.  I have reflected on this memory often throughout my life and can only hope that this quiet woman enjoyed my gift.


During high school, I began to experiment with French cooking. I checked out a paperback copy of Julia Child's French Cooking Cookbook from the school library and taught myself how to make pate a choux or cream puffs. I would fill the cream puffs with instant vanilla pudding and have myself a very delicious afterschool snack.



When I graduated from college, I had little money to spend on Christmas gifts, so I headed to the kitchen. I made miniature pound cakes and tiny gingerbread men cookies for all of my co-workers. Everyone went crazy over the cookies so they became the staple gift for the holidays from me and my family.



Fast forward 25 years and I find myself a grown woman who has never lost her passion for baking. I have made birthday cakes for all of the kids in the neighborhood and a few wedding cakes along the way. I continue to give gingerbread cookies to my friends during the holidays and love spending time researching new recipes and decorating ideas.



Enjoy the blog....I'm in the kitchen...bringing yummy treats your way!

No comments:

Post a Comment